ST. JAMES' CHURCH, WIELD
St James is the parish church of the Parish of Wield. It is a simple Norman building, c.1150, with some 15th century details and a 19th century East window. At the West end is a small boarded bell turret housing a single bell (1448). There is a priest’s door to the chancel. External walls are lime washed and the South doorway has a mass dial inscribed on the left hand pillar. The internal nave walls show fading medieval wall paintings including three consecration crosses, with Queen Anne coat-of-arms over the chancel arch. There are squints on each side of the arch. At the west end of the nave is a small vestry and a musicians’ gallery over. The font is Norman of Purbeck stone.
The chancel contains the fine monument to William Waloppe (1617) with effigies of William and his wife in alabaster with an elaborate marble and alabaster surround. The silver communion chalice is dated 1568-9 and the paten 1500.