Windows and memorials
The east window by Charles Eamer Kempe, dated 1895, represents the Crucifixion and is a memorial to Sir Nelson Rycroft, Bt. who died in 1894.
On the south wall of the chancel another window by Kempe, representing John the Baptist, commemorates the Revd. John Lamrell, who ministered here from 1839 to 1841. To the right of this, a brass memorial commemorates Richard Weston, of an ancient Kentish family, and his wife, Margaret of Newberry [sic], Berks. They died in 1600 and 1602 respectively.
A brass plaque between these two windows commemorates the restoration of the Chancel in 1893 by the family of Edward Walter Blunt.
Near the altar are stones in the floor inscribed T.S. 1781; A.S. 1784 and a slab to John Soper, Gent 19 July 1688.
Kempe's window on the north wall depicts St. Cecilia, patron saint of music, and commemorates Anne Blunt (died 1900), one of the numerous members of the family named on the base of the large monument outside the west door of the church.
The other window on the north side is by Lavers & Westlake, London 1892, and depicts the Good Shepherd. It is a tribute to Mary Frederica Pirrie Dunbar, a famous Shakespearean scholar and daughter of Sir William Dunbar, Baronetto Scotia, the rector of that period. She died in 1891 aged 47 years.
William Moore alias Dummer
On the left of the East window, inset into the wall, is one of the most interesting memorials in the Church. It commemorates William Moore, alias Dummer, and Katherine Brydges, his wife. The inscription tells of his long service in the city of London, of his marriage, and the birth of a short lived son. Oddly, the space left for the date of Moore's death (1593) has never been filled in. His grave is located immediately below this tablet. The heraldic arms of Dummer, with helm and mantling, between shields of Dummer impaling Brydges, and Brydges are inserted into both the east wall and the grave slab below.
The records of the City of London show that one William Dummer, or Doumner, began his career in theTown Clerk's office in 1537 and, in 1538, Clerk of the Lord Mayor's Court, from which post he was promoted in 1544 to be Controller of the Chamber, an appointment he held until his death. Further facts about him are contained in the records of the Draper's Company, and from the history of the Somerset Archaeological Society, where he is described as William At More, alias Dummer, Esq. Born 13th February 1508, buried at Dummer 11 July 1593. Lord of the Manor of Dummer.
A coat of arms of Charles II, dated 1672, overlooks the east window from the south side of the chancel arch. Originally, this may have been connected with the building of the gallery which probably occurred during his reign.
The two oak chairs on either side of the chancel arch are a recent memorial to Barbara Elizabeth Wilmot-Sitwell who worshipped at All Saints for many years.
The stonework surrounding the south window was renovated in 1997 and new glass installed in memory of the late Lt. Col. Peter Thomas Clifton, for many years benefactor and churchwarden of All Saints. In the central window is the badge of the Grenadier Guards, the regiment in which he served with distinction. The stained glass artist was Andrew Taylor of Devizes. The flag overhanging the nave from the balustrade of the gallery is a Sovereign's Standard of the Life Guards, laid up here after Queen Elizabeth II presented the regiment with a new standard.
The battle honours borne on the flag range from Dettingen (1743) and Waterloo (1815) to Ypres, the Somme and other areas of grim fighting in France between 1914 and 1918. On the south wall, a plaque commemorates the men of Dummer who gave their lives in the Second World War (1939 - 1945).
The Lychgate serves as a memorial for the fallen in both world wars.
At various places in the chancel and the nave are memorials to members of two historic Dummer families resident in Dummer House - the Terrys and the Rycrofts.
The Terry family, who came to Dummer in the late 17th century, flourished for nearly two hundred years. Thirteen Terrys were born in the latter half of the 18th century to the then Rector Stephen Terry, and many of them feature in the diaries of Jane Austen. The Terrys were local land owners as well as being rectors in Dummer, and other parts of North Hampshire. As Anna Maria Stirling wrote in her edition of Stephen Terry's Diaries of Dummer, "Dummers, Atmores and Millingates were all forebears of Stephen Terry".
On the right of the organ, a memorial to Michael Terry records that he fell overboard from a ship off Calcutta on 10th August 1835.
There are various memorials to the Rycroft family who acquired the Dummer estate in 1874, including one to Charles Michael Rycroft, of the Somerset Light Infantry, who died in India in 1896, aged 32. The 4th Baronet, Sir Nelson, died in 1894; the 5th, Sir Richard Nelson, in 1925. Memorials to other members of the family will also be seen and several Rycroft graves can be found in the cemetery.