Music and bells
Originally installed in 1896 by Charles Martin of Oxford, the organ was refurbished in 1997, thanks to the generous help of a local benefactor. It carries the motto Fide et Amore Resurrexit - Restored with faith and love.
The belfry wall still carries fragments of a 17th century inscription of the rules for seemly behaviour by the ringers.
Today, the bells are still rung regularly by our local ringers and visiting groups. The All Saints Tower is affiliated to the Winchester & Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers. The diagram below shows our very own Dummer Doubles method.
Our five bells are:
Treble 1811 Cast by James Wells of Aldbourne, Wiltshire
2nd 1759 Cast by Thomas Swain of Longford
Recast 1911 by Mears & Stainbank, Whitechapel
3rd 1590 Cast by Joseph Carter of Reading
4th 1599 Cast by Joseph Carter of Reading
Tenor 1591 Cast by Joseph Carter of Reading
The outside Calling Bell was refurbished for the Golden Jubilee Service of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 2nd June 2002. At that time the children of Dummer were each given a small handbell to mark the occasion.
The bells at All Saints were last restored in 1911. Problems surfaced in 2008 and by the end of 2010 the bells were unringable and repair work was needed again. In 2011, after considerable effort by the village, its friends and grant funding bodies, the 5 bells and the calling bell were refurbished and rehung with modern bearings and headstocks. A window commemorating this refurbishment can be found in the Porch.
Watch the bells restoration video on YouTube