Welcome to All Saints' pages, please select one of the links on the left.
This is intended to provide an introductory guide to the All Saints’ Church building - its history and notable features.
The Domesday Survey of 1086 records the existence of a Church at Dummer*. The oldest, visible part of the present building is the south doorway of the nave which dates from the 12th Century. It is now a round-headed window, close to the font.
During the Middle Ages the advowson - the right of presentation to the church - was held by the Dummer Estate. The Dummer family were the patrons and appointed priests to the living.
*According to the Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names, the name Dummer derives from the Old English Dunmere, signifying pond on a hill - dun meaning hill and mere meaning pond.
Visiting the Church
We welcome visitors from all over the world. All Saints' Church occupies a central position in the attractive Hampshire village of Dummer, a short stroll from our historic pub, The Queen Inn.
The local railway station is Basingstoke. Travelling by road, head for junction 7 on the M3 motorway.
Services in the Benefice please click here
Sources and further reading:
Collins guide to English parish churches. Collins, 1958.
Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (Buildings Of England Series). Penguin, 1967.
The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
The Diaries of Dummer, Reminiscences of an old sportsman. Edited by A. M. W. Stirling. Unicorn Press, 1934.
John Charles Cox
Hampshire (Little Guide series). Revised by R. L. P. Jowitt. Seventh edition, Methuen, 1949.
Dummer Burials Graves Memorials and WW1 and WW2 records
Our online index lists only those deceased who were born 100 years ago or more. The full list of all Burials, Graves and Memorials and the original records are available for inspection in person. Please contact us to arrange an appointment.
History of the Dummer Family
A CD is available for purchase from the Churchwarden of All Saints’. Please contact us to obtain one.
Stafford Napier Unpublished monograph on the History of Kempshott Park, 2015. Available from the author. Please contact us to obtain one.
Restoration of Dummer Bells 2011 Available for viewing at the Church
Hampshire Record Office in Winchester is recommended as the starting point for further research.